Thursday, January 6, 2011

Boston Herald Sportswriter Comes Out

Boy, is MassResistance going to have a conniption over this, Steve Buckley, a writer for the Boston Herald, has come out, a sportswriter! Who's next?

Over the past couple of months I have discussed the coming-out process with my family and a few friends, and have had sit-downs with Herald editor-in-chief Joe Sciacca and sports editor Hank Hryniewicz, as well as with WEEI’s Glenn Ordway. They’ve been great, as have my friends and family.

But during this same period, I have read sobering stories about people who came undone, killing themselves after being outed. These tragic events helped guide me to the belief that if more people are able to be honest about who they are, ultimately fewer people will feel such devastating pressure.

It’s my hope that from now on I’ll be more involved. I’m not really sure what I mean by being “involved,” but this is a start: I’m gay.

Congratulations Steve! The more people keep coming out the harder it is for the anti-gay groups to demonize us since we are EVERYWHERE. H/T to Joe.My.God

No comments: