But I'm disappointed--no comment on Ms. Massresistance's silly Tuesday post complaining about, among other things, how "the radical homosexuals ... demand repeal of all state laws prohibiting transvestism [sic] and cross-dressing"? Damn those radicals for wanting to get rid of anti-cross-dressing laws! Can you just imagine the damage to society done by men wearing dresses? Women wearing pants?So I started searching:
- Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- In Medieval Europe, women were known to cross dress to overcome gender discrimination of the time. Abandoned wives, for example, often donned male attire, in order to live independent lives.
- In 1652 a New Hampshire Man is fined for "Putting on women's Apparel"
- In 1968, in Houston, TX, several lesbians were arrested on charges of cross-dressing because they were wearing fly-front pants.
- In 1982, John Lithgow portrayed Roberta Muldoon, a transexual ex-football jock and was nominated for an academy award.
- "On Inauguration Day, I was wearing a pantsuit," Dee Dee Myers, Clinton's former press secretary, told Chris Bury on "Nightline" two days after George W. Bush's inauguration. "It was a very cold day in Washington and when I came into the West Wing, I actually broke what had been a Reagan and Bush protocol rule, which was: Women weren't allowed to wear slacks.
So there you have it, Ms. Massresistance would like men to wear pants and women to wear skirts although how she makes the link from cross-dressing to prostitution is beyond me. You know, I bet there is a picture out there of Ms. Massresistance picketing something and wearing pants. If so, she's a cross-dresser because cross-dressing doesn't only mean men wearing women's clothing.