Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Road Not Taken

Brian McGrory of the Boston Globe writes a piece about the speech that Willard Romney should have given on Sunday night at the Tremont Temple Baptist Church. Here's a snippet:

I am, for the record, opposed to gay marriage. I believe, as should be clear to anyone and everyone listening and watching tonight, that marriage should be between a man and a woman, that every child should have a mother and a father.

But I've been reminded of a few things in the 2 1/2 years since the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts legalized gay marriage.

I've been reminded that experience, real life experience, should influence ideology. I've been reminded that fears aren't always a precursor to reality. I've been reminded that the human spirit not only endures amid times of significant change, but it thrives.

More than anything else, I've learned over these 2 1/2 years that my marriage to Ann has not been affected one iota by the legalization of gay marriage. My sons' marriages are no less strong and loving. The marriages of my neighbors and of my friends have not suffered because men are allowed to marry men and women are allowed to marry women.

It's worth a read.

This article reminded me of something I would also like to make a note of that I found ironic when it happened. One of Romney's sons was married early in 2004 (I don't know if it was Tag or Biff or whatever their names are) I remember because the GLOBE did a story on the younger Romney's marriage. I recall wondering if he and his bride-to-be were getting married quickly before history making May 17, 2004 date. I thought this because the story stated that the younger Romney had only met his new wife the year before. By that time I had already known my future husband longer than the younger Romney knew his future bride only he could get married whenever he wanted, I had to wait at least until 2004.

Back to Brian McGrory's story, his ending of the "fake" Romney speech is precious:

Our fight is a long and important one. We need to pick the battles that matter most.

Yeah, imagine. A politician who's honest. A politician who doesn't pander.

No comments: