Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Ex-Gays:Missing the Boat or Just Plain Stupid?

Massresistance is touting Exodus International for having a "better idea" than the United Church of Christ. Exodus International is that group of ex-gays (again I ask, Why don't they call themselves heterosexuals instead of holding onto the label of gay? I guess they just can't get over being gay?) In one telling section of their "critique" of UCC's resolution, the Ex-gays say:
"Homosexuals need to know they are welcome at their local church, but they also need to know that hundreds of thousands of us have found freedom from the isolation and emptiness we experienced in gay life through the power of Jesus Christ," he said.
Ok:
  • The UCC has made it perfectly clear that gays and lesbians are welcome (so has many other churches)
  • I know I am welcome at my local church (I sing in the choir)
  • I am not isolated or empty, just the opposite. Through my church I met the man I recently married and we have wonderful GAY and STRAIGHT friends that we met at church. They even celebrated our wedding with us.

Finally, I must say that I agree with almost all of the last sentence at Massresistance:

As a former homosexual who is now happily married, I am grateful for the laws that protected and esteemed this life-preserving, authentic union.

As a life long gay man, who is now happily married, I am grateful for the Massachusetts Constitution that has protected and esteemed this life-preserving, authentic union.

Ex-Gay Watch covers these people very well and exposes them for what they are.

2 comments:

massmarrier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
massmarrier said...

Stupid Heroes

Perhaps these self-identified ex-gays are confusing themselves with X-Men. They are heroes with the superpowers to: 1) Deny their natures, 2) Pretend that each of us is not on a spectrum of sexuality at any moment, one that can shift, or 3) Ignore that many gays people are quite literally gay, not suicidal losers.

As misdirected as they seem to be, these EG folk may not be able to ignore for long that with even a modicum of acceptance by the larger society and protection by statute, homosexuals function quite well. Then again, maybe they'll never get it. If their driving force is acceptance in their peer group, they seem to have found it.