Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

Today people all across the United States celebrate Thanksgiving with their families and friends. It is said to be the biggest travel weekend of the year since nowadays people do not live close to their families. If you're traveling, be careful, obey the speed limit, you will get there. It is also the time politicians serve food to needy people. I saw a report that showed Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney serving food to needy families, I hope he does it all year long and not just on Thanksgiving for a photo op.

As I prepare to celebrate this holiday I can't help think of those who cannot: the families devastated by the Hurrianes Katrina and Rita, the families of those serving in Iraq and elsewhere and the families whose members are now laid to rest. There are many more people out there who for some reason or not will not be celebrating Thanksgiving and think they have nothing to be thankful for. Yet to all of these people my hope is that better times and healing will be coming. I am inspired by those that have seen and been through so much hurt and tragedy and still moved forward:

I'm concerned about justice. I'm concerned about brotherhood. I'm concerned about truth. And when one is concerned about these, he can never advocate violence. For through violence you may murder a murderer but you can't murder murder. Through violence you may murder a liar but you can't establish truth. Through violence you may murder a hater, but you can't murder hate. Darkness cannot put out darkness. Only light can do that.

Martin Luther King. "Where Do We Go From Here?" Speech (August 16, 1967) in his last presidential address to the SCLC


Let us keep the light shining bright.

No comments: