Thursday, December 15, 2005

Happy HOLIGAYS!

With Jerry Falwell’s recent assault on "Happy Holidays" it got me thinking. These are the same things these white Religious Right people think about the country; everyone is white, Christian, married to a wife (who stays at home of course, a la “Father Knows Best”) and has two children: a boy & a girl. They refuse to see anything else.

It seems like it's a big surprise that:
  • Everyone is NOT Christian,
  • Everyone is NOT to married to a woman (or in Newt Gingrich’s case 3 women)
  • Everyone is NOT white
  • In today’s economy both spouses have to work (man/woman, man/man, and woman/woman) or
  • you're scraping by raising a family on one income and have no spouse.
  • Lots of couples, both gay and straight are choosing whether to have children or not.

For myself, I celebrate Christmas, I have NO problem with people wishing me a “Happy Holidays”, they don’t know me from Adam so why should they assume I celebrate Christmas (Isn't this profiling?) Just like why should they assume I’m straight, YOU CAN’T! Can you imagine what Jerry Falwell would say if you assumed he was, A GAY?. I do wear a wedding band and I'm legally married, but I have a husband (and I will still be married even if they pass this discriminatory amendment in Massachusetts).

This is NOT a cookie cutter world, if we were all alike how boring would that be? Actually, it’s bone-chilling to think about it, horrifying even!

No comments: